Sunday, May 5, 2013

Reflection Of Freedom



9/11 Memorial Site




These pictures were taken at the 9/11 memorial site which is currently under construction as the new freedom towers are being built. 
The memorial site uses reflection to show the past, present and future of American's emotions towards the attack. As you can see from the pool there is the top level of water before the water drops, this level of water reflects the sky and was designed to not ripple, creating a constant reflection. To me this represents past emotions because it shows the constantly changing sky, which is undisturbed and forever unchanging because of the lack of buildings above it. The west freedom tower (picture 2) shows the otter new freedom tower being built. This shows the future of America: constantly growing, ever evolving, forever determinably pushing forward in spite of everything. 
The last picture was something that personally resonated with me. During my childhood my Mom would always take me thrift shopping. While many children went strait to the barbie section, I always went to the book section. I happened to pick up an old, but pristine, tour book of New York. As I stood at then memorial sight, feeling the names of the dead etched into the side of the pools, I felt compelled to show a comparison between before and after. As you can see in this photo the pictures of the twin towers are faded; the reason I choose to have them be less obvious then the pools is because when the attack actually happened I did not understand what was going on. Recalling the memory it is nothing but a blurry vision of multiple news channels, a sunny bus ride and multiple phone calls. I believe that for the future generations to come, that will also be what all it means to them. Although people prefer not to admit it, for future generations to come 9/11 will also be a blurry and faded memory, ingrained with forced emotions from elders. 


No comments:

Post a Comment